1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c packed dark brown sugar
¼ c molasses
1 egg substitute = 1 T ground flax seed + 3 T H20
2-1/4 c unbleached flour (mix unbleached, soy, spelt, buckwheat, etc)
2 t ground ginger, or 1 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp cinnamon
2 t baking soda
½ t salt
1-1/2 T finely chopped fresh ginger root
½ c finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- Cream oil and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Beat in molasses and then egg substitute.
- Sift flour, ground, ginger, baking soda, and salt together. Stir into oil mixture with wooden spoon until blended. Add fresh and crystallized gingers and stir till well mixed.
- Refrigerate dough covered at least 2 hours or overnight (or use right away!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake until browned, 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
3 ½ to 4 dozen cookies